Employment at VYFS
In 2017, Vashon Youth and Family Services celebrated 40 years of helping the Vashon Island community. Join our team and be a part of this vibrant tradition. To apply, please peruse our open positions and read through the job descriptions and included instructions. All postings will require a completed VYFS Employment Application. Contact Mariela Franco at email@example.com if you have additional questions about the application process.
If no positions are listed below, we currently have no open positions.
Bilingual (Spanish) Playgroup Facilitator (9822 SW Gorsuch Rd)
NATURE AND SCOPE: The Kaleidoscope Play & Learn Facilitator is a member of the Family Place. The Kaleidoscope Play & Learn Facilitator is accountable for running Kaleidoscope Play & Learn groups that are consistent with the Kaleidoscope Play & Learn Guidelines.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Working collaboratively with community partners by:
• Developing community partners to support Kaleidoscope Play & Learn through referrals
• Communicating regularly and as needed with community partners
• Asking for community partner feedback as appropriate
Recruiting and engaging Family, Friend and Neighbor caregivers as well as parents to participate in Kaleidoscope Play & Learn groups, including:
• Developing marketing strategies and materials
• Working with community organizations, leaders and others to recruit participants
• Planning for and guiding intentional caregiver learning for each session of Kaleidoscope Play & Learn, including:
• Modeling play activities and caregiver-child interactions
• Modeling how to help children share and interact with one another
• Preparing materials and information on relevant and timely caregiver education topics
• Coaching and guiding caregivers in play activities and in interactions with the children
• Presenting and demonstrating information
• Responding to –and following up to – caregiver questions and requests for assistance and information
Planning for and guiding intentional child learning for each Kaleidoscope Play & Learn group session, including:
• Planning developmentally- and culturally-appropriate, child-directed play centers as well as planned group activities which support child development and growth in all domains
• Preparing materials and information
• Gathering supplies
• Setting up and cleaning up the space prior to and after each group session
Creating a safe, trusting, collaborative learning community within the Kaleidoscope Play & Learn group by:
• Welcoming and orienting new participants to the group
• Creating intentional opportunities for caregivers to build supportive relationships among themselves
• Providing opportunities for caregivers to develop leadership within the group (e.g., reading books at story time, leading a group activity, helping to recruit new participants, etc.)
• Soliciting and responding to caregiver in-put about the group
• Responding to emergencies that arise during the group
Participating in the Kaleidoscope Play & Learn Affiliate activities, including:
• Participating in evaluation and data collection
• Completing Kaleidoscope Play & Learn 101 training
• Attending additional trainings and workshops
Completing administrative and record-keeping tasks related to Kaleidoscope Play & Learn and other job responsibilities, including:
• Tracking the attendance of participants
• Providing information (e.g., attendance reports, web list updates, etc.) to the Kaleidoscope Play & Learn as requested
• Ordering supplies and materials
Experience and/or training in:
• Caregiver/parent education and family support
• Early learning and child development
• Fluency in Spanish
• Have a commitment to and passion for working with families
• Experience in working collaboratively with people from a variety of economic, educational, cultural and family backgrounds
• Able to work independently, problem-solve as well as multi-task and prioritize multiple demands on her/his time and attention
• Knowledge of local community resources for families and young children is preferred
• Must be able to pass criminal background checks
• Have or be willing to obtain current CPR/Infant CPR and First Aid certification
Compensation: $18-20 per hour, part time
Chemical Dependency Professional CDP/CDP-T- 10-16 hours
For over 40 years, Vashon Youth & Family Services has been a vital member of the Vashon Community and the Vashon Community is a vital part of VYFS. The mission of Vashon Youth and Family Services is to foster a thriving community of emotionally healthy and resilient children, youth, adults and families.
Vashon Youth and Family Services is excited to be offering a Substance Use Disorder Program for Drug and/or Alcohol Treatment. Groups are offered twice a week along with Individual sessions during the month for support and goal planning.
Currently, we are seeking a part-time CDP/CDP-T who will support the work of the SUD program manager. The successful candidate will be a counseling professional who provides treatment and support to assist patients receiving care for substance use disorders; may also provide counseling services to families of patients receiving care through an outpatient setting.
• Provide a full range of case management services to adult SUD clients, to include:
• developing and updating comprehensive, insightful treatment plans with long and short term goals based on level of functioning, outcome measures and client needs;
• coordinating care with all facets of VYFS;
• teaching problem-solving, goal-setting, social skills,
• providing counseling, individual treatment services and family involvement as necessary;
• providing crisis intervention services as necessary;
• assisting clients to remain stable in the community, thereby reducing the use of hospitals or involuntary treatment services;
• providing skills in group, individual, and family therapy, knowledge of and skill in a range of treatment modalities.
• Advocate for clients, coordinate and refer for services with other community agencies.
• Maintain working relationships with community and government agencies, other professionals, family members of clients and significant others.
• Complete all documentation in timely manner.
• Participate in staff meetings, individual supervision and assigned committees, as required.
• Participate in continuing education on an annual basis.
• Maintain ethical and competent client and peer relationships in the delivery of service.
• Relate to others in a professional manner, respectful of individual and cultural differences.
• Comply with all applicable federal, state and county laws and regulations, VYFS policies and procedures and all safety regulations.
• Perform other duties as needed and/or assigned.
• Understand and apply recovery concepts in behavioral health.
• Bachelor's Degree in Social Services/Sciences or related field, plus two years' experience in counseling preferred. Associates Degree Required.
• Maintain Chemical Dependency Professional certification per WAC (Washington Administrative Code) and possess the CDP credential.
• Must be knowledgeable in ASAM criteria for levels I.0 outpatient treatment and II.I intense outpatient.
• Drug-free and out of treatment for a minimum of three years immediately prior to employment and no misuse of alcohol or drugs while employed as a Chemical Dependency Professional.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Experience with motivational interviewing and cognitive behavior therapy.
Posted 2/20/19 - Position open until filled
Childcare Provider - On-Call
The On-call Childcare Provider reports to the Family Place manager and cares for children who are participating in Family Place programs. Childcare providers will utilize the skills taught explained in the book Rest, Play, Grow: Making Sense of Preschoolers and in the “Discipline that Doesn’t Divide” class including redirection, looking for underlying needs in problem behavior, and supporting all emotions.
To apply send employment application to Mariela at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by our main office to fill out an application (20110 Vashon Highway SW).
Posted 2/20/19 - Position open until filled